How to Prepare Your Car for Winter Part 2
Packing Your Car for Winter Trips
A winter accident could leave you stuck on the side of the road. Packing your car with a few essentials will help keep you safe and ready for whatever conditions pop up on your trip.
- Keep the fuel tank at least half full throughout the winter. This will reduce condensation, making your vehicle easier to start on cold mornings.
- If you have a mobile phone, make sure it’s charged and bring it with you. A car charger for your phone is also a smart device to keep in the car.
- Always store a snow/ice scraper and a shovel in your vehicle.
- A first aid kit is another must-have item to keep on hand. It should include all the usual items plus winter extras like flash lights, a fresh supply of batteries, blankets, matches, extra clothes, bottled water, and non-perishable snacks. Peanuts and granola bars are good protein- and carbohydrate-rich foods.
- Always keep a flask of hot drink with you. It is essential to make sure you keep warm and this is a great way.
- For rear-wheel drive vehicles, you might want to keep a small bag of sand in your trunk to create traction under the tires if you get stuck. The bulk of a vehicle’s weight is the engine, in the front of the car. If the car is driven by it’s rear wheels instead of its front wheels, the heavy front end and light back end makes the car prone to slide around an ice- or snow-covered road.
- Clear off your car each time you go out for maximum visibility. Don’t forget the hood, roof, and your head and tail lights. Sure it takes a few extra moments, but it’s better than dealing with an accident due to poor outward visibility. Also, leftover ice chunks from the roof or hood of the vehicle may become hazardous to yourself and those on the road around you while driving.
Will be bringing you more tips tomorrow!!
Information courtesy of http://auto.howstuffworks.com/car-driving-safety/accidents-hazardous-conditions/how-to-prepare-your-car-for-winter1.htm
Latest posts by Steve (see all)
- Kia unveil plans on a new “hand gesture” controlled cockpit - Feb 10, 2014
- Protect your car from possibly the worst winter in years! - Nov 18, 2013
- The Effectiveness of an Oil Flush! - Jul 30, 2013
- Air Conditioning – Tips to stay cool in the summer! - Jul 9, 2013
- Protect Your Manufacturers Warranty… - Jun 10, 2013